The country needs talented and skilled human resources for providing training and education to the thousands of children with special needs, Manovikas College of Special Education (MCSE) was founded by Madhya Pradesh Viklang Sahayata Samiti (MPVSS), Ujjain in the year 2015, With a vision to train and build eligible and dedicated special educators. This is the first and only Special Education college affiliated to Vikram University, Ujjain, approved by Rehabilitation council of India, New Delhi
Special Education may be best described as a purposeful intervention designed to overcome or eliminate the obstacles that keep children with disabilities from learning, in other word it is about providing children with disabilities with individualised plans of institution to help them succeed.
For this purpose MCSE originated by MPVSS, Ujjain. MCSE continuously generating competent trained special teachers.
- Acquire knowledge & skills about nature and educational needs of children with specific disability.
- Develop conceptual understanding of education provisions and skills for working with children with various disabilities in Special and inclusive settings.
- Acquire knowledge & skills about human development, contemporary Indian education, and pedagogy of various school subjects and assessment for learning.
- Enhance knowledge and skills for professional development.
- Develop communication and language abilities of the child (e.g., Total Communication, calendars, objects, pictures, augmentative and alternative communication devices, words imprint and Braille).
- Understand the areas of child development and how deafblindness and vision with additional disabilities (e.g., Mental Retardation, Cerebral Palsy, Autism) impact normal development.
- Make appropriate transition and vocational plans for the adult lives.
- To prepare special teachers who can provide services to special children to pre-vocational levels in the following settings
- Early intervention Programmes
- Special Schools – Day Care/Residential
- Integrated \ Inclusive Schools
- Home Based Programmes
- Pre-vocational Programmes
- Community Based Rehabilitation Programmes.
VISION – To build adequate knowledge in the following areas:-
- Various aspects of disability, its impact and management.
- To know key aspects of education like goals, function, technology and emerging trends
- Educational needs of the children with disability and their management
- To know about planning and executing curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Methods and techniques of teaching school subjects.
- Various areas of child development and the relevant mental processes.
- Develop a team approach with families and related interactors (e.g., therapists, doctors, professionals) to provide the child a meaningful programme.
- Adapting environments to maximize learning.
- Knowledge of best practices in education (e.g., communication, curricula, IEP, team approach).
- Knowledge of senses, sensory losses, their impact on learning, and ability to maximize the child’s use of residual senses (e.g, vision, hearing, touch).
- Basic understanding of clinical and medical assessments and conditions to interpret findings (e.g., audiogram, eye report, medical reports).
- Assess the educational needs of children with deafblindness and children with vision impairment with additional disabilities to provide appropriate interventions.
- Understand Governmental legislations and concessions provided to people with disabilities.
- Need for teachers to develop self evaluation and professional ethics and standards on an ongoing basis.
Mission – To develop skills and competencies Special Trainees:-
- Personal, professional and social competencies and skills required in teachers.
- Subject teaching as per requirement.
- Development and adaptation of instructional materials.
- Evaluation of the students, teacher and the educational programme.
- Planning and executing lessons (Individualized group).
- Classroom management techniques.
- Individual and group parent interaction.